Monday, February 22, 2010

Reaction to the Articles

1. "Cellphones, Text and Lovers" by David Brooks.
I totally agree with some of the information in this article. I believe that technology has definitely opened up a whole new way to meet new people and stay in touch. Back in the olden days, people used to meet through school, neighborhoods, and other social institutions such as those. But now people meet online through Facebook or dating websites. I also agree with Brooks when he says that the social scripts from the previous generation do not exist anymore. "But technology has made this extremely difficult. Etiquette is all about obstacles and restraint. But technology, especially cellphone and texting technology, dissolves obstacles. Suitors now contact each other in an instantaneous, frictionless sphere separated from larger social institutions and commitments." I really enjoyed this part of the article because I see it in my everyday life. There is no longer a sense of privacy and intrusion.

2. "The Benefits of Distraction and Over-stimulation" by Sam Anderson.
Like I said in my previous blog, I do not see a problem with multitasking. When I get distracted and overstimulated, it keeps me more alert and I can get stuff done. If I only focused on one thing at a time, I would have absolutely no time to get anything done. There is a serious lack of an attention span these days because now that we have information and that sort of thing at our finger tips and with one click of a button, we feel entitled to have everything come to us like that. We expect that if we can figure Lindsay Lohan's mother's middle name than we should obviously be able to get things handed to us quickly and efficiently. Along with this comes more and more impatience and intolerance for waiting or not getting our way.

3. "The Way We Live Now: A Facebook Christmas Love Story" by Walter Kirn.
I enjoyed this article a lot. I have seen it in my own life that Facebook brings people together. I have countless stories about reconnecting and finding friends that I had lost touch with along the way. I got in touch with my best friend from 5th grade, my old Ballet teacher, and even a relative that I did not know existed in Italy. It was a wonderful article to read about. It makes me miss the holidays, especially Christmas. Christmastime is always so joyous and positive and my whole family gets together, which makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment